Thursday, April 30, 2009

Chapter 14-20

1.  Frankenstein's creation is amazed by the relationship between Felix and Sophie.  He doesn't understand how someone could risk their whole life for another, since he has been alone and exiled his whole life.  I think that watching this makes him want that sort of relationship.  And in telling it to Victor he hopes that Victor will realize how he has been unjustly punished by his abandonment.

2.  “Like Adam, I was created apparently united by no link to any other being in existence... [but] many times I considered Satan as the fitter emblem of my condition; for often, like him, when I viewed the bliss of my protectors, the bitter gall of envy rose within me.” Frankenstein's creature compares himself to Adam and Satan in Paradise Lost.  He is very confused, seeing himself as both human and demonic, though he is aware of Frankenstein's hate for him.

3.  In the end of this set of chapters, it seems as though nature and the outside world has now become a source of stress for Frankenstein. Henry, on the train, is very excited to see the world and all it holds, and yet at this point I get a different feeling from Victor.  Since meeting his creation, nature is only a reminder to him of his task ahead and what may happen if he does not complete it. 

1 comment:

  1. "Source of stress for Frankenstein" that is an interesting observation. One that I have not heard before...what do you think this means.

    ReplyDelete